Lumbar Spondylosis or spinal osteoarthritis is a degenerative disorder that may effect the normal spinal structure and function. Aging is one of the primary cause but the location and rate of degeneration varies from person to person. The degenerative process of spondylosis may affect the cervical (neck), thoracic (mid-back), or lumbar (low back) regions of the spine.
Kati vasti is an ayurvedic treatment used for lower backache and disorders of lumber-sacral region, including slip disc and degenerative changes of spine. The treatment is done externally and is safe and non-invasive.
The patient is made to lie down on their stomach. A well is made over effected area by using kneaded flour of wheat and black gram. Lukewarm medicated oil is then poured into that well. The temperature of the oil is maintained by continuously changing the oil using cotton. The affected area is then massaged with special technique and is followed by steam. The Duration of procedure is 30 minutes per session and it generally takes 7 to 21 days to get relief depending on the patient and severity of the disease.
Benefits of Kati Basti
- Increases the circulation in the region, as the medicated oil gets deeply absorbed into the skin,
- Nourishes and strengthens the muscles, bones and nerves.
- Pacifies one of the primary sites of Vata, relieving pain, soreness, and tension and restoring flexibility.
- Relieves chronic lower backaches and painful muscle spasms, stiffness, and degenerative problems.
- Enhances healing and recovery from spinal injuries.
- Reduces inflammation, swelling and tenderness of effected area.